The key to compliance is that the patient clearly understands how the PCI’s work and why improving posture is important. It is of utmost importance that the patient has an emotional desire to improve. If they don’t, they might forget to move the PCIs between shoes to maximize use, forget to use the patient diary, or they might not bother to get help if the PCI’s don’t fit correctly.
To obtain maximum compliance:
- Relate wearing the PCIs to the subjective and objective findings in the PCI evaluation. Illustrate clearly the implications of continuing life with the postural deficiencies found.
- Make sure the patient understands how the PCIs work. “The Posture Control Insoles™ help prevent your feet from rolling inward, hyperpronating, when you stand and walk. Stopping your feet from hyperpronating will help stabilize your body and improve your posture.” Demonstrate by having them do the knee bends to see how their knees are not moving as much inward as they did without the PCIs. You may comment on how the changes in their posture give them greater lung capacity, make them look taller, better, more erect, younger, etc.
- Make sure the patient understands that mild, temporary muscle ache in the calf is normal and expected. Otherwise the patient may be frightened by feeling muscle tenderness and discontinue wearing the insoles. Get confirmation that the patient is committed to following the break-in instructions.
Explaining to the Patient What to Expect
Some patients may believe there is something wrong because they feel an initial discomfort from using the PCIs. This may cause them to discontinue their use. Make sure they are informed that they may feel the following, and that it is expected and normal:
- Mild soreness in the leg muscles
- A sensation of increased pressure under the big toe
- Mild pressure on the outside of the foot
- Mild pressure under the arch (if an arch support is fitted)
All the above sensations should be temporary and not noticeable by the end of the break-in
period. Instruct the patient to temporarily discontinue or reduce the use according to the break-in instructions if any of the above sensations become objectionable.